Prevention Through Inspection
A large loss in a commercial building can be detrimental, not only to the building itself but also to the business itself causing huge losses and putting business on pause while the issue is taken care of.
A thorough, routine, scheduled investigation of your building can help reduce a large loss at your home or business.
Why are workplace inspections important?
Workplace inspections help prevent incidents, injuries and illnesses. Through a critical examination of the workplace, inspections help to identify and record hazards for corrective action.
What is the purpose of inspections?
Inspections are important as they allow you to:
- listen to the concerns of workers and supervisors
- gain further understanding of jobs and tasks
- identify existing and potential hazards
- determine underlying causes of hazards
- recommend corrective action
- monitor steps taken to eliminate hazards or control the risk (e.g., engineering controls, administrative controls, policies, procedures, personal protective equipment)
If you have fire, water, mold, or asbestos issue give SERVPRO of Camarillo a call today at 805-484-5009.
Does Your Building Have B.O.?
A Common Problem
We’ve all experienced it. You walk through the door and run right into a wall of odor. Sometimes, it’s when you’re returning to your building after a damaging event. Sometimes it’s when you’re moving into a facility with a pungent past.
Don’t live with a smell that can turn away customers or guests. When SERVPRO® says that we make it “Like it never even happened,” that includes odors.
Even a small fire or flood can leave odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard-to-reach places that could cause odors for years to come.
A Science-Based Solution
A prompt, professional cleaning will remove these residues and prevent permanent odor. SERVPRO® technicians don’t cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; they seek out and remove the source of the odor. Once the source is found, SERVPRO’s own proprietary line of cleaning products is used to treat and prevent the odor from returning.
Any restorable item in the affected areas will also be professionally cleaned and deodorized, including furniture, draperies and upholstery, electronics, art, flooring, walls, ceilings, HVAC air ducts and more.
If your home or business has suffered a fire or some other accident, don’t live with the damage. Call SERVPRO Camarillo at 805-484-5009 to find out what we can do for you. We’re here to help.
Surprise Rain Damage In Camarillo
Water stains in dropped ceilings, tracking down the wall or dripping in a hallway are all signs that your commercial building has a roof leak. Even minor exposure can be a major inconvenience.
What Causes Camarillo Roofing Leaks
As water flows outward from the leak point, its exact location can be challenging to identify. Some common causes include:
• Age of the roof
• Debris building up and trapping water against the roof
• Gutter backup slowing water flows off the roof
• Missing shingles that may have been ripped off in high winds
Water Damage Cleanup
Once the location of roof leak has been identified and the damaged roof fixed, it’s time to begin water damage cleanup. Depending on the site and severity of the leak, this can be extensive. Although each situation may be a bit different, some common steps must be taken.
1. Remove water-damaged materials.
• From the exterior: Shingles, tarpaper, plywood, flashing, etc.
• From the interior: Fiberglass insulation, drywall, dropped ceilings, carpeting/flooring, etc.
2. Dry water affected areas.
• If appliances or equipment were exposed to water, unplug them and let them air dry.
• Open windows if it’s less humid outside than inside.
• Use fans to speed the drying process.
• Check for mold growth.
3. Disinfect areas exposed to the water
• Wash nonporous hard surfaces such as glass, plastic, and metal with hot water and a non-ammonia soap
• Disinfect all exposed surfaces including wood beams and studs with a bleach solution.
• Clean soft surfaces such as furniture, window coverings and carpeting with a disinfecting cleaner
Recovering from a roof leak and restoring roof and ceilings can be a time-consuming, complex process. SERVPRO of Camarillo can ensure the process is done quickly and thoroughly, allowing you to get back to business.
Black Water Can Look Clean
When it comes to dealing with flood water in Camarillo, it's important to know that this type of water often falls into the black category. This can become a factor in many cleanup operations. It is important to understand where the water comes from and what to do if flooding occurs in your home or business.
Where Black Water Comes From
Contaminated water, otherwise known as black water, is any water that may have come in contact with fecal matter. This may include
- Sewer water
- Water from fields
- Toilet backup
- River run-off
Flooding falls into the black category because often there is no way to tell what it has come into contact with. In most cases, it is best to assume it has been contaminated and follow the proper sanitation procedures.
What To Do If Flooding Occurs
If you're busy with storm damage or flood water, it’s important to conduct any repairs necessary as quickly as possible. Doing so can help prevent further damage and may also help when it comes time to talk to your insurance. Since flooding is considered to be contaminated water, it's important to remember to sanitize the damaged area as well as to clean the zone.
How Your Insurance May Help
Depending on your policy your commercial insurance may cover the costs of cleanup and repairs related to flooding. They may even recommend a flood restoration service who can help with every step of the process. If you have questions about what exactly is covered by your policy, it's important to talk to your insurance agent.
Understanding that flood water falls into the black category can help you take proper sanitation measures when it comes time to clean up. Most experts recommend thoroughly drying the area, and then following recommended sanitation practices. In many cases, your insurance may cover the cost of restoration. If you have any questions, SERVPRO of Camarillomay be able to help.
Tips That Can Keep Your Camarillo Building Dry
- Increase grade: The earth around the home should be sloped away from the house to divert water away. Very simply, borrow earth from three feet away from the structure, and toss it against the side of the house thus creating the slope.
- Clean rain gutters: Schedule a licensed professional to clean gutters annually. A clogged rain gutter can send water cascading down the exterior wall, which can result in water entering the interior walls.
- Divert down spouts: In a quick run to the local hardware store, homeowners can find a black, plastic corrugated 6-inch hose that fits around the base of the downspout. This device carries water away from the house, preventing it from seeping down into the foundation.
- Roof maintenance: Where rain is concerned, the roof is the first line of defense. One small tear in a rubber membrane or crack in a tin roof, or compromise in the plywood structure of the roof can prove disastrous for the entire interior of the home. But regular maintenance can preserve the life of the roof. Have a roofer check out your home every five years.
- Window repairs: Proper window installation and maintenance is imperative. Modern windows are fitted with wells and drains designed to help direct water outside the house. Improper caulking can prove disastrous by sending water into the house that should be draining away from the window.
- Sweep away debris: Especially during spring and fall seasons, when the area’s great trees emit pollen in tumble weed fashion and drop their leaves in mass, it is critical to diligently sweep outdoor surfaces weekly, especially patios and door wells to prevent the collection of debris clogging exterior drains.
Santa Ana Winds Roof Damage
When you live in Camarillo, roof damage may occur due to varying weather conditions. It's important to do what you can to mitigate any potential problems before they leave lasting damage to your home. Some things you can do include
1. Regularly Inspect your Roof
Performing a regular inspection of your roof can allow you to look for any water, storm or wind damage that may have occurred. Many experts recommend having an inspection performed biannually. You may also want to look a roof over after any severe storms or weather.
2. Take Care of Problems As they Occur
One important mitigation tip to keep in mind when dealing with roof damage is to take care of any problems as they occur. This may keep a small problem from turning into a larger issue down the road, and also keep you in compliance with your homeowner’s insurance policy. Additionally, making small repairs as necessary may help prevent a costly roof replacement down the road.
3. Contact a Professional
If you are unsure how to properly care for a roof, or what repair sets may be necessary for any damage you may find, then you may want to contact a storm damage restoration professional. A professional service often has the equipment, materials and tools necessary to perform any repairs as efficiently and safely as possible. They should also be able to answer any questions or concerns you may have about your roof.
If you're worried about roof damage to your Camarillo home, you may want to consider taking some of these steps mitigate potential problems. Doing a regular roof inspection will it allow you to be aware of the condition of your roof and take care of any problems as they occur. If you have any doubt as to the severity of the damage or what steps may need to be taken, a professional may be able to help.
Many of us have suffered water damage at some point in our lives or know someone who has. It can be devastating, unexpected, and very problematic.
Water damage is a hazard and happens a lot more often than you might imagine. One of the worst effects of water damage is the growth and spreading of mold and mildew. Water-logged areas can see mold growth after a couple of days.
Some causes of water removal services can be needed in a home or commercial building include
- Broken or leaking plumbing
- Clogged toilets
- Leaking roof
- Faulty or malfunctioning appliances
- Issues with HVACs (heating, ventilating and air conditioning units)
- Natural disasters/weather related
Should any of these scenarios arise SERVPRO will send their IICRC Certified technicians to complete emergency water restoration services. Water Restoration Steps may include:
- Inspection and Assessment. SERVPRO of Camarillo performs a thorough damage assessment of the location of the damage
- Water Removal. The next step in the restoration process is to remove standing water via water extraction
- Drying and Dehumidifying
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Complete Restoration
The ultimate goal at SERVPRO is to leave the customers satisfied by the job completed and feeling “Like it never even happened.”
Waking Up To A Nightmare
Imagine waking up in the middle of the night to check on your kids and putting your feet on the floor only to find that your feet are in 6 inches of water. Believe or not, this scenario happens more than you think.
How would you handle this?
Who would be your first call?
How many towels would you have available to sop of the water?
Where did it come from?
What am I going to do now?
These are some of the first things that would likely run through your mind. While trying to remain calm, he first thing you want to do of course, is check on your family. Once you know everyone is safe, try to locate the source of the water and get it stopped. It could be a toilet supply line, shut it off immediately. It could be a busted pipe under your sink, shut the water off immediately. Maybe you have no idea where it is coming from – call SERVPRO!
With over 50 years of experience in the fire and water damage restoration industry and over 1,400 franchises across North America, SERVPRO is amongst the premier companies in our respective fields. If you experience a loss like the one described above, call SERVPRO of Camarillo at 805-484-5009 and we will work with you to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Don't Let It Grow!
Mold Damage: What To Do If You're In A Hurry
After a natural disaster in Camarillo, CA, flooding can leave you with more than just a few puddles to clean up and some soggy carpet to dry out. Immediately after a flood, black mold can begin to breed in your home – and can spread alarmingly fast, until your entire house or apartment is infested. Treat mold cleanup like an emergency procedure, and immediately start remediation efforts to eliminate the possibility of mold taking root.
There are a few things you should do immediately before beginning mold cleanup, including:
- Shutting off the HVAC systems; airflow causes mold spores to spread, and once they get into the home HVAC they can spread throughout the house
- Removing waterlogged items that can easily breed mold, particularly soaked furniture; the older the furniture it is, the more likely it is to be a breeding ground
- Inspecting your flooring; older, waterlogged wood and soaked carpet can become havens for black mold
Taking these initial emergency steps can go a long way to prevent immediate mold infestation, but this is only the first step in proper, careful mold cleanup.
Address Your Moisture Problem
A dry house is your best bet for a mold-free house. Standing water or moisture soaked into the interior of your home is asking for mold to take root. Thoroughly dry out your house, even if you have to bring in professionals who can use industrial equipment to dry the home without relying on airflow from fans, which – once again – is a double-edged sword because of the tendency to spread mold spores through airflow.
Keep a Close Eye Out
Don’t leave a single nook or cranny unexplored. Check for damage that may lead to water leaks from roofs or pipes. Be ready to consider the possibility that even if the house looks dry on the surface, you may have standing water inside the walls or moisture soaked into the sheetrock and insulation, with black mold already growing. Rapid response is the best response, but make sure to be thorough in your inspections as well.
Fire Equals Smoke Equals BAD ODORS
How To Deal With Smoke Damage
If you have experienced a fire in your commercial space in Camarillo, CA, you have a lot to deal with. Although the fire probably caused a lot of structural damage, another effect that can cause lots of issues is smoke odor. It is important to conduct smoke cleaning as soon as possible to minimize the damage.
Initial Steps to Take
Waiting to deal with smoke odor is a mistake, as the
longer it is there, the more it seeps into fabrics and carpeting, which makes it almost impossible to get rid of completely. Some of initial steps you should take include:
- Introduce fresh air into the space by opening windows and doors and using fans to help direct the smoke particles out
- Call for professional fire restoration services, as they have the special devices and machines designed to deal with smoke damage, no matter how big of space the fire ruined
- Make a solution of a half cup of white vinegar, gallon of warm water and a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to wipe down hard surfaces such as doors, window sills, desks and chairs
How the Professionals Handle Smoke Cleaning
Although you can do some things that may mitigate the fire damage, professional cleaners have the tools necessary to get the terrible smell out of the air, carpet and furnishings. Some of the tools at their disposal include ozone machines, which help break down odors, and thermal foggers, which distribute small particles to be able to target smoke particles in tiny cracks and surface pores. Professionals also use commercial air filtration devices that contain carbon and HEPA filters for smoke cleaning.
Damage caused by smoke can be challenging to completely get rid of if you do not address the problem right away. Along with your efforts, a professional team can remove the odors from all types of surfaces.